SASH provides life saving blood transfusions for both dogs and cats
As a 24-hour emergency and referral hospital, SASH sees more patients requiring life-saving blood transfusions than most veterinary practices. Having identified the need for an in-house blood bank service to meet the ever-growing demand for blood transfusions in seriously ill patients, SASH established its own in-house canine blood bank back in 2007 and is also now developing a Feline Blood Bank. What initially started out as a handful of SASH’s dedicated staff volunteering their own pets to donate blood has now grown to over 100 privately owned dogs and cats on the SASH Donor List.
With a staff of dedicated veterinary specialists, emergency veterinarians and highly trained nurses, SASH sees a wide variety of cases requiring life-saving blood transfusions for acute bleeding or anaemia. Patients that are victims of trauma, poisonings, auto-immune disease or bleeding associated with surgery all depend on blood donated by healthy dogs and cats
Could your dog become a blood donor and help save the life of those in need? If your dog:
- Is healthy and up-to-date with vaccinations, heartworm prevention and worming;
- Is aged between 1-7 years old;
- Weighs at least 14 kg (although over 25 kg is ideal) and is not overweight;
- Has no significant current or previous illness;
- Has never received a blood transfusion;
- Has a friendly and obedient demeanour; and
- Is able to lie still for 5-10 mins
Then your dog could help save lives by becoming a SASH Canine Blood Donor Hero!
Download and submit the SASH Canine Blood Profile Form here. Alternatively, you can simply click the button below to submit an online donation form.
Could your cat become a blood donor and help save the lives of other cats in need? Requirements include:
- Good disposition. Tolerates needles and restraint with light sedation
- Weighs at least 4 kg lean body weight. Not significantly overweight
- If male, needs to be desexed and females need to be spayed with no previous pregnancy
- No previous blood transfusions
- Between 1 to 8 years of age
- Current on annual vaccination (minimum of F3)
- Indoor only (no unsupervised outdoor time)
- Receives routine flea/parasite prevention
- Should not be taking any medications other than flea/tick preventatives
- Have a normal physical exam on initial evaluation by one of the veterinarians at the SASH
View the Feline Blood Profile Form and criteria here. Alternatively, you can simply click the button below to submit an online donation form.
Want more information?
Whether it is a one-off donation, or a regular contribution, your dog will become a life saver.
For more information, please call our Blood Bank team on (02) 9190 6805 or via email email@example.com.