Pathology is a specialty that determines the cause and nature of diseases by examining and testing body tissues and bodily fluids. The results from these pathology tests assist our specialists in making accurate decisions about the diagnosis and treatment of your pet.
The pathology laboratory at SASH is unique in private specialist veterinary practice in Australia. The lab processes samples from your pet, and our specialist pathologist Dr Stephen Yeomans interprets the results of the tests in conjunction with the SASH specialist clinical teams.
Testing may include:
- Haematology – the testing of the cellular components and clotting ability of blood, and bone marrow evaluation.
- Biochemistry – evaluating concentrations of substances in blood and body fluids.
- Urinalysis – assessing the cellular and chemical properties of urine.
- Cytology – microscopic examination of smears of cells aspirated from tissues or body cavities.
- Histopathology – microscopic examination of processed tissue pieces to diagnose disease or evaluate surgical excision.
Specific tests may be referred to external laboratories.