‘Monty Python’, the 18-year-old female carpet python, was taken to the Small Animal Specialist Hospital after her family caught her swallowing the beachside accessory. Monty was anaesthetised and radiographs were taken to confirm the location of the start of the towel.
“A flexible endoscope was placed down Monty’s gastrointestinal tract, which allowed us to visualise the end of the towel sitting in her stomach,” it said.
“With assistance from our internal medicine team, very long forceps were placed through the endoscope and used to grasp the towel.
“Once we had a good grip, the towel was able to be carefully removed from the gastrointestinal tract with endoscopic guidance.”
Thanks to the incredible rescue, both Monty and the towel lived to see another day.